We often come across the terms of UX writing and content strategy. These concepts have appeared relatively recently. Many do not have a clear idea of what these areas of activity mean and what is their essence. The confusion happens because many online articles use these terms indistinctly as if they were synonymous.
Content plays an important role in the perception of the web product. However, not only copywriters are engaged in selling texts today. The need for adaptive and fast interfaces triggered the formation of a new profession, the UX writer. Read on to learn more about content strategy and UX writing.
What Is Content Strategy?
The name speaks for itself. Content strategy refers to the planning and management of the information. And it is applied not only for websites, applications, online stores, or the promotion of digital products. Sometimes, especially in small companies, content strategies are designed to create unique material. Their task is much wider than just creating a specific topic in a professional field. The main purpose is to launch an individual brand promotion system in the digital space.
Content strategy includes:
- Analysis and segmentation of the target audience to develop the content that will be better perceived;
- Competitor analysis to understand what marketing strategies are successful with competitors, what content has a greater social response from competitors, and what topics are better;
- A communication strategy that increases customer loyalty and converts it into money. Without it, the content will be missing a common message, and the effect will be blurred;
- Definition of types and formats of content. It can be expertise, where you act as professionals in your field; educational or provocative (for example, entertaining or simply non-standard). The strategy will help you understand what information type and format to use to get the maximum response from the audience;
- Determining the frequency and publication plan for distribution on third-party sites;
- Setting metrics for evaluating effectiveness, tools for tracking results.
To learn more about how to implement a successful content strategy, it is recommended to follow detailed guidelines
with step-by-step instructions.
What is UX Writing?
UX, or user experience, is the impression a client receives when using a web product. The task of the web designer is to make it positive. It can be achieved through the quick and effective interaction of the user with the interface. Not every expert in an essay company
will cope with UX writing. The UX writer aims to make sure that the user does not struggle with site navigation, but interacts instantly and painlessly with the interface. The UX writing element is called micro text. It is used in the following cases: buttons, menus, tips, errors, 404, headers. Good UX writing is obvious, unobtrusive, aimed at helping users. Since each product is unique, and most brands have their own style, there are no standards for micro texts. Google defines them as clarity, conciseness, utility.
The UX writer starts working on the project at the same time as the UX Designer: they lay the foundation for the prototype, decrypt the IT terminology, and translate it into the user's language. When creating elements of a functional part of an application or site, the author selects the right words so that the user intuitively understands the intended direction of action.
The task of a UX writer is to create a good user experience from the first second of his visit to a site or application. Interacting with designers, they create interfaces the way we see them.
Main features of UX writing
UX aims to help the user achieve what he wants and leave a positive impression.
So, its goals are:
- Use simple words to explain to users how the product works;
- Give the user a sense of product uniqueness;
- Encourage the user to study the product and use the content;
- Persuade the new user to try the product;
- Close cooperation with UX designers and product managers.
A good writer should know the guidelines of UX application and basics of user psychology. Today, you may find many useful resources
for UX writing techniques and philosophy.
UX writing is no better or worse than content strategy but these are different things. UX texts do not advertise, do not agitate, and do not sell. Content strategy helps to develop an understanding of which key it is necessary to move in order to win the user, increase sales, and advance in delivery. Just content is not enough, you need to combine and use both UX texts and content strategy to be the best in your niche.
Rebecca Willis: HR manager, personal trainee in management, freelance writer and active guest contributor.
Are you interested in boosting your career, personal development, networking, and giving back? If so, WITI is the place for you! Become a WITI Member and receive exclusive access to attend our WITI members-only events, webinars, online coaching circles, find mentorship opportunities (become a mentor; find a mentor), and more!
Founded in 1989, WITI (Women in Technology International) is committed to empowering innovators, inspiring future generations and building inclusive cultures, worldwide. WITI is redefining the way women and men collaborate to drive innovation and business growth and is helping corporate partners create and foster gender inclusive cultures. A leading authority of women in technology and business, WITI has been advocating and recognizing women's contributions in the industry for more than 30 years.
The organization delivers leading edge programs and platforms for individuals and companies -- designed to empower professionals, boost competitiveness and cultivate partnerships, globally. WITIâ€™s ecosystem includes more than a million professionals, 60 networks and 300 partners, worldwide.
Inspire Future Generations.
Build Inclusive Cultures.
As Part of That Mission WITI Is Committed to
Building Your Network.
Building Your Brand.
Advancing Your Career.