WITI Women | Tama Olver
4. Who has been the most influential person in your life? Why?
A role model I met when I was 16 opened up the possibility of working in computers and had a great influence on my opportunities. My husband has had the most influence on my happiness and current success.
5. What lessons have you learned that would be valuable to women beginning their
careers in technology?
Go for it! Technology is a great field where you can enjoy success and make a difference in the world. With the talent shortage in the industry and the impact of the Internet, there is virtually no limit to the possibilities. Commit to be a life-long learner.
6. What new technology do you believe will have the most positive impact on the
world in the next 20 years? The most negative impact?
The adoption of the Internet to connect everyone, and potentially billions of devices, with each other globally, will change economic and social systems in dramatic ways. Most of what we have seen to date is only a beginning. The positive impacts will be from dramatic improvement in global access to information, products, and services. I can imagine a world which is more secure, healthier, and significantly more efficient with direct access of consumers to suppliers for virtually everything in life. The negative impacts will be from upheaval to existing systems and, potentially, from the creation of a scary divide between those who have access and those who don't.
Tama Olver answers these questions:
1. What was your first job in technology?
2. Who has been your most significant mentor? Why?
3. What has been your greatest challenge and what strategies
did you use to overcome obstacles?
4. Who has been the most influential person in your life?
5. What lessons have you learned that would be valuable to
women beginning their careers in technology?
6. What new technology do you believe will have the most positive
impact on the world in the next 20 years? The most negative impact?
On the lighter side:
1. If you could have dinner with any 2 people (living or not),
who would they be?
2. What was the last book you read? What books do you love to recommend?
3. If you couldn't do what you are doing now, what profession would you choose?
4. What is your definition of success?
Click here for printer-friendly version of this article.
Copyright© 1989 - 2000 WITI
All rights reserved.