Six Steps to Refresh Your IT Skills & Expertise
April 02, 2018
It will come as no surprise to you; in a recent Randstad Technologies survey of IT professionals, encompassing everyone from CIOs to system administrators to developers, keeping technology skills fresh is one of their greatest challenges. Coupled with pressing jobs and personal demands that leave little time to devote to honing existing or acquiring new skills, the pace of technological change has never been greater.
It took nearly forty years for the telephone to reach a 40% penetration rate, and it took smartphones just 10 years to reach that 40% rate. With the growth of social, mobile, analytical, and cloud-related technologies and the low barriers to entering the market, the pace of change shows no signs of slowing.
The dynamic rate of technological change breeds new opportunities for the people who keep refreshing their skills. From our experience, we know employers are looking for IT professionals who take the initiative to keep their knowledge base fresh and build new skills. You need to make the case that you are leading the charge to bring innovation to your organization. So, with everything else on your plate, how do you approach learning?
First, take the time to think through which skills and knowledge you need to acquire. What are the important trends you find interesting around which you would like to build skills? What insights do you need to further your career? Make a list and prioritize your areas of focus.
A recent Randstad survey confirmed what you probably already know; IT professionals are do-it-yourselfers when it comes to acquiring new skills with the internet as their primary source of learning. However, it is best not to lock yourself into one skill-building tactic.
The more obvious tips:
- Some online courses are better than others. Do your research before you invest your time and money. Do not write off attending in-person training. For some, in-person training is a preferred way to learn, and it might help you expand your network.
- Acquire certifications if available.
- Attend trade shows and conferences that most closely relate to your areas of interest.
- Identify and read the relevant trade publications and books. A good first step is to create a Google alert and select those sources that consistently provide high-quality information and insight into the technologies of interest.
Some steps you can take are less obvious but could prove invaluable.
- If you work with vendors who provide services in your areas of interest, leverage their knowledge. Get their insight on how they keep their skills fresh. Have them recommend resources.
- Consider putting together workshops with your co-workers and colleagues. The best way to learn a new skill is to teach it to others and share sessions with your peers; this increases the chances that the curriculum will be practical.
Do not lose sight of the big picture—your evolving career. Lifelong learning is more than a sentimental goal or character-building exercise. In today's rapidly changing technology landscape, lifelong learning might be the difference in a fulfilling career.
Find out the moment new career opportunities become available by signing up for Randstad's job alerts. Tell us what kind of position you want, and we'll email you when we find it!
This article was originally published on Randstad
Opinions expressed by the author are not necessarily those of WITI.
Become a WITI Member!
Are you interested in boosting your career, personal development, networking, and giving back? If so, WITI is the place for you! Become a WITI Member and receive exclusive access to attend our WITI members-only events, webinars, online coaching circles, find mentorship opportunities (become a mentor; find a mentor), and more!
Become a Member
Member Coaching Circles
There are no WITI online coaching circles scheduled at this time. Please check back soon for updates.
More Coaching Circles
Founded in 1989, WITI (Women in Technology International) is committed to empowering innovators, inspiring future generations and building inclusive cultures, worldwide. WITI is redefining the way women and men collaborate to drive innovation and business growth and is helping corporate partners create and foster gender inclusive cultures. A leading authority of women in technology and business, WITI has been advocating and recognizing women's contributions in the industry for more than 30 years.
The organization delivers leading edge programs and platforms for individuals and companies -- designed to empower professionals, boost competitiveness and cultivate partnerships, globally. WITIâ€™s ecosystem includes more than a million professionals, 60 networks and 300 partners, worldwide.
Inspire Future Generations.
Build Inclusive Cultures.
As Part of That Mission WITI Is Committed to
Building Your Network.
Building Your Brand.
Advancing Your Career.